Friday, April 22, 2005

Course Wrap-up

Changed Writing
Prior to enrolling in the course I had no experience writing for the web whatsoever. I came in as an English major used to writing in the MLA style where complexity of sentence structure is more often rewarded than not. The idea of bulleted lists and stylized text was hard for me to swallow at first, but I found myself enjoying the style more and more as the semester went on. It's also been a while since I wrote anything more than an email so it felt good to knock some of the rust off and flex those writing muscles again. I found the writing assignments to be both challenging and rewarding and started to remember why I majored in English as an undergrad rather than lamenting that fact since I get no use out of it at my current job.

Useful Knowledge
Learning a new style of writing is the aspect of this course that will serve me the most. Looking back at some of my clips from my college paper, I noticed that that research paper style is present in most of my journalism writing. As my company moves towards revamping their website and adding interactive features, I've been tossing the idea around with some of our marketing people about the addition of a blog that could inform clients of adult education issues or developments. If they choose to go in that direction, this could mean more writing responsibilities for me, which is my ultimate reason for enrolling in this program.

Unanswered Questions
The main area that I struggle with is html and blog formatting in general. Because this was my first class in the certificate program, I'm sure that will be remedied when I enroll in the design course in the future. I also struggled between Mac and PC platforms and found myself going to my office on weekends to work on my PC rather than my Mac at home. I'm not very practiced at creating a presentation that is visually appealing and beneficial to an audience.

Enhancement Suggestions
While this suggestion may only stem from my limited experience, I would have liked more of a focus to be on writing rather than design principles, mainly because I struggled with them. All and all I truly enjoyed this course and learned a great deal not only about the content we covered, but about how this program works and what type of work is expected from me. Thanks BC, I really enjoyed it.

1 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Blogger brian said...

i'm so gratified the course gave you a chance to write and to explore your own writing style. i do hope your co. adds the blog and you get to apply a lot of what we did.

you indeed will get much more HTML and web design in the design course. serena fenton and i work hard to prevent too much overlap, though some is inevitable.

thanks for the suggestion to put more of a focus on the writing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home